History Of District 14
The history of our District has a proud and honorable tradition starting back in 1937 when it was established as District 14. The first Commander was A. G. Walsh from Post 2148 for the period of 1937-1938. At that time the District was made up by 17 Posts. Today District 14 is comprised of 11 Posts across 5 counties of Central Texas. These counties are Bell, Burnet, Coryel, Falls, and Lampasas. During this time we had one State Commander Alexander Vernon from Post 9191.
District 14 split with District 29 in 1983. They were issued a new Charter on July 14, 1983 from National and Department By-Laws which have been determined by action of the Department convention.
After 27 years from receiving our new Charter we had our second Comrade elected as State Commander Dennis (Mike) Barber in 2003-2004 from Post 3892.
As part of District 29 we had 45 District Commanders during that time together. Since leaving District 29 we have had 37 District Commanders.
The purpose of District 14 is to preserve and strengthen comradeship among its members throughout the District. To assist worthy comrades and to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, plus to assist their widows and orphans. Also, we will maintain true allegiance to the government of the United States of America and fidelity to its Constitution and laws. We will foster true patriotism, maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom and finally preserve and defend the United States from all her enemies.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars District 14 of Texas is a nonprofit veterans’ service organization composed of combat veterans and eligible military service members.
What really sums up our District is “The Power of One”.
One small act can make a big difference in the life of a Veteran or Service member in crisis. “The Power of One,” a public service announcement from the Veterans Crisis Line, shows how taking the time to reach out can be the first step to getting those who served the support they need.
Click Here: "To See “The Power of One”